It dawned a beautiful day last Sunday for the last competition for the year The Alliman Shield – 2014 December. 59 divers gathered at the pavillion at Gunnamatta bay looking forward to the days competition. Little did they know as the were putting up the channel that the diving conditions would be very ordinary indeed with very dirty water, a sloppy Nor-east swell, cold water and a scarcity of fish (You were the smart one Trippey).
A few fish came in the pick being:
Scores are attached, congratulations to the Dolphins even with one boat disqualified they took out the day, and the four man teams.
Congrats to Paul Roso who came out of the South to take out the day.
A good day weather wise for the Alliman Shield – September 2014 on Sunday, sunny, light winds and flat clear seas, all of you that didn't make it you missed a great day! There was a bit of fog about though!
The divers gathered from 7am and by 7:30am there were 71 divers signed on and ready to go. All were excited because of the three month layoff due to cancelled comps and July being a no comp month (this needs to be reviewed)
It was impressive to see the bay full of boats and the boat start was as usual spectacular including a jet ski crew that were dumped in the water!
1:15pm saw all divers back with no late comers and no disqualifications and the weigh started and some top fish was seen to come in like:
It was a superb day for diving as all the divers on the day would agree, there are three more competitions left for the year the next one on the 12th October at Bayview. All USFA members are welcome to compete and if you need the Alliman fact sheet emailed to you please let me know.
Scores are attached
Why a USFA Membership?
We as spear-fishermen have some very real issues to deal with, e.g. the grey nurse shark exclusion zones and the Marine National Parks. There are very highly organized and politicised groups out there who would want the whole of our coastline preserved for nothing more than observation and would deny our basic right to catch a feed of fish!
To be a member of our organisation means that you have a collective voice to speak out against those issues that threaten the very fabric of our sport, something that is very hard to do as an individual. The USFA is funding these fights and need as many members as possible to show the governing bodies that we are united and that we have the numbers to make a difference.
The USFA generally represents members from the state of New South Wales but has representatives from all over the country. Being aligned with other peak fishing and outdoor organisations gives the USFA real ‘weight’ when dealing with the authorities. This can be seen with the grey nurse exclusion danger that was defeated in court with great cost to the USFA.
Other reasons to join the USFA are:
- Competition – The clubs of the USFA organise both monthly zone (Alliman & Taylor shields) and state competitions such as the Spearfest, Sydney & Canada Cup, South Coast, Far South Coast, Eden 3-Way championships and the State Titles to name a few. We also have initiated a host of Social based competitions such as the One Up One Down, Kingfish Cup, Selfie Comp, Junior Cup and our Exceptional Capture Awards. These programs cater for those who want a more social level of involvement without entering the traditional competitions mentioned above.
- Insurance – As a member of the USFA you are covered by a sporting injuries insurance policy which covers you in the event of an accident. This policy is the most comprehensive ever for spearfishermen. It does not cover you just in competition and is valid all over the world! This coverage alone is worth joining for! Please visit our Insurance page for specific details and extensive benefits.
- USFA website – Through the website & social media the USFA makes extensive use of the internet to keep members & supporters informed of legislative developments, media releases & general matters of interest as well as upcoming events.
- Youth development & Diving Safety Education – the USFA is committed to diver education programs and the nurturing of our youth to participate in our sport in the safest manner possible.
- Independents – Independent divers are encouraged to join and have a representative to stand for any issues or suggestions they may have.
How do I Join?
Easy, the new application form has several new features to make this process as easy as possible:
- Pay online via our online membership form where you can pay securely via credit card.
Not a member of a Spearfishing Club?
No problem, join and become an Independent member, there is a growing number of divers who are not part of the Club scene but wish to be part of the future of the sport but want to do their own thing as well. A lot of independents dive the state titles, Eden, Pacific Coast championships (Spearfest) etc. and participate in our social programs.
So help us to help you and join today. Support Spearfishing for you and your kids! If you need any further information email me at [email protected] or phone on 0413 033 224.