16 Sep Herb and parmesan crumbed Garfish, tartare sauce (serves 2)
Thank you Chef Jai Gibbons
- 4 garfish butterflied and pin boned
- 3 tablespoons of parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of dill, finely chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup of parmesan microplaned/finely grated
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 egg
- 100ml milk
- ½ cup flour
- 100g mayonnaise (kewpie brand is good, or make it yourself)
- 1 gherkin or pickled cucumber, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 100ml veg oil
- Cracked black pepper
Mix the bread crumbs, parmesan, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1 tablespoon of dill, pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk the egg and milk together in a bowl and place the flour in another bowl.
Lightly season the fish with salt, dip into the flour, dust the excess off. Dip into the egg mix, then remove and place into the crumbs. Gently coat the fish.
Heat the oil in a cast iron or heavy based pan to a moderate heat. Place the fish in skin side down and cook until the crumbs are golden then turn and cook golden again and remove from the pan. Place on some paper towel to remove excess oil and lightly sprinkle some salt and cracked black pepper over the fish.
Serve with chips and salad.
Add chopped gherkin or pickles, capers, 1 tablespoon of chopped dill, 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley, 1 pinch cracked black pepper, squeeze of lemon juice to taste. To the mayonnaise of your choice.