WHY A USFA MEMBERSHIP?
We as spear-fishermen have some very real issues to deal with, e.g. the grey nurse shark exclusion zones and the Marine National Parks. There are very highly organized and politicised groups out there who would want the whole of our coastline preserved for nothing more than observation and would deny our basic right to catch a feed of fish!
To be a member of our organisation means that you have a collective voice to speak out against those issues that threaten the very fabric of our sport, something that is very hard to do as an individual. The USFA is funding these fights and need as many members as possible to show the governing bodies that we are united and that we have the numbers to make a difference.
The USFA generally represents members from the state of New South Wales but has representatives from all over the country. Being aligned with other peak fishing and outdoor organisations gives the USFA real ‘weight’ when dealing with the authorities. This can be seen with the grey nurse exclusion danger that was defeated in court with great cost to the USFA.
OTHER REASONS TO JOIN THE USFA ARE:
- Competition – The clubs of the USFA organise both monthly zone (Alliman & Taylor shields) and state competitions such as the Spearfest, Sydney & Canada Cup, South Coast, Far South Coast, Eden 3-Way championships and the State Titles to name a few. We also have initiated a host of Social based competitions such as the One Up One Down, Kingfish Cup, Selfie Comp, Junior Cup and our Exceptional Capture Awards. These programs cater for those who want a more social level of involvement without entering the traditional competitions mentioned above.
- Insurance – As a member of the USFA you are covered by a sporting injuries insurance policy which covers you in the event of an accident. This policy is the most comprehensive ever for spearfishermen. It does not cover you just in competition and is valid all over the world! This coverage alone is worth joining for! Please visit our Insurance page for specific details and extensive benefits.
- USFA website – Through the website & social media the USFA makes extensive use of the internet to keep members & supporters informed of legislative developments, media releases & general matters of interest as well as upcoming events.
- Youth development & Diving Safety Education – the USFA is committed to diver education programs and the nurturing of our youth to participate in our sport in the safest manner possible.
- Independents – Independent divers are encouraged to join and have a representative to stand for any issues or suggestions they may have.
HOW DO I JOIN?
Our new membership platform makes joining a simple process. It enables you to check the status of your membership and has a Auto-Renew feature so your membership dose not lapse.
To Join select one of the options below: (you will be transferred to our membership platform)
- Junior members are those under 18 years of age as of the 1st of January in the current year.
- Senior Members are everyone else.