click the link
Why Should I join the USFA? I’ve been diving for years without being a member.
By joining the USFA you will be becoming a member of an organisation that is putting all its efforts into improving spearfishing for everyone. We are constantly looking for ways to improve and give more back to our members. Diver safety and development are high on our priority list along with protecting our rights to spearfish all along our wonderful coast. By becoming a member you will not only have the right people in fighting for your rights politically but you will also have access to all these resources and programs. You will also be protected by our insurance policy. Check out our Insurance section for more information.
You don’t have to be a member, but we sure want you! The more members we have, the stronger we are and the more we can do together to protect and build the sport we love!
What is this ‘Insurance’ and why do I need it?
Go to our Insurance section on this website for specific, up to date information on our policy and how it protects you.
How do I find the closest club to me?
Go to the Club section of this website and look at the list of clubs and the areas they are from. Feel free to call or contact any of the clubs to ask questions and find out when their next meeting is so you can go along.
What if I am not interested in comps. Isn’t the USFA just for serious competition divers?
Absolutely not. The USFA is there for all Spearfishers, regardless of your skill level or experience. We are currently initiating many new programs catering for social spearfishers. Check out our Kingfish Cup and our Outstanding Capture Awards. Don’t forget to keep an eye on our Events Calendar for upcoming Social Meets, Information Sessions and Awards Nights. And if you have other great ideas, we want to hear them!
What are the USFA doing about protecting the sport of spearfishing?
Firstly, we are building our membership so that we can demonstrate that we are a united group of like minded spearfishers who are safe, sustainable and sensible. We have experienced members who represent us on advisory councils and government committees fighting for our rights. We educate, coordinate and encourage submissions from our members on Marine Parks and other issues when they are called for so that we are properly represented when decisions are made.
Finally, by promoting, encouraging and supporting our members to follow our Code of Conduct we are, by ourselves, protecting our sport by example. Reaching out to fellow spearfishers and mentoring them in the same values is the greatest thing we can do.
Be the change you want to see in this sport!!
If you have more questions you would like answered, please contact us for an immediate response!
USFA Insurance Policy Summary
Personal Accident Policy
Where am I covered?
Policy coverage is worldwide.
When am I covered?
Three scenarios for coverage:
- Whilst participating in events arranged by the USFA. (i.e. scheduled competitions or awards nights etc.).
- Whilst participating in events not arranged by the USFA provided two or more members participate and all rules and regulations are followed. (i.e. social dives, pool training with a buddy – wet and dry static and dynamic activities).
- Voluntary work arranged by the USFA.
Breach of Maritime, Fisheries or USFA rules or any illegal activity voids the cover under scenario 2.
How much am I covered for?
- 80% of your average Gross weekly income up to a maximum of $500 per week.
- Payable for up to 104 weeks (2 years) or until age limitations are reached.
- Commence after the first 7 days in the event of an injury.
- $50,000 or a percentage thereof as per Schedule of Compensation Table.
- Members under the age of 16 or between 65 and 75 years have a “Lump Sum” limit of $10,000.
- Funeral Expenses – 100% of costs to a maximum $10, 000.
- Non Medicare Medical Expenses – 100% of costs to a maximum of $5,000. Nil excess.
- Medicare Expenses (including the Gap) cannot be claimed under this policy, as it is unlawful to do so. Only non-Medicare expenses can be claimed.
- Parents’ Inconvenience Allowance – Up to $25 per day up to a maximum of $2,000.
- Emergency Transport Allowance – 100% of expenses up to a maximum of $5,000 from within Commonwealth waters i.e. Rescue Helicopter, ambulance etc.
- Modification Benefit – If a payment is made under the Lump Sum Benefits, the costs to modify the insured’s vehicle, home or relocating them to a suitable home will be covered up to a maximum of $10,000. Prior written agreement required.
- Rehabilitation Expenses – If payments are made under the Weekly Benefits cover, the costs for participation in any return to work program deemed reasonable will be covered up a maximum of $5,000.
Benefits For Non Income Earners & Students:
- Household Help Benefits – includes, Domestic Home Help, Hire of Medical Aids (Non-Income Earners Only) – 100% to $200 per week for a maximum period of 104 weeks.
- Student Assistance Benefits (Non-Income Earners Only) – 100% to $250 per week for a maximum period of 104 weeks. Waiting period 7 days
- Unemployed/Pensioner/Self-Funded Retiree Assistance – For attendance at medical consultations 100% of expenses up to a maximum of $5,000.
A USFA member is spearfishing in the Coral Sea, or anywhere within Commonwealth waters, aboard a spearfishing charter or private vessel with one or more other USFA members and receives an injury (covered under the scope of the policy wording), such as shark attack or hit by a boat, requiring hospital treatment.
Insurance cover will pay for all costs up to $5000 to transport the insured to hospital. The insured is then covered for up to $5000 in costs for Non-Medicare Medical Expenses, up to $5000 Rehabilitation Expenses, up to $10000 Modification Benefits if required and with prior approval. They are also entitled to a Weekly Benefit of up to 80% of their Gross weekly income (max $500/week – 17 to 60 yrs.) for up to 104 weeks after a 7 day waiting period from time of injury. They are also eligible for a Lump Sum Payment in accordance with the Schedule of Compensation Table depending on the allocated injury percentage of up to $50,000.
This is only a summary of the USFA cover, for full details you should read the policy documents in full. The policy documents may be downloaded and viewed on our web site.
The policies are:
- Worldwide Group Personal Accident Insurance which covers members up to 75 years of age whilst participating in events organised by the insured and non scheduled events provided 2 or more members participate and all rules and regulations are followed, including voluntary work on behalf of the insured (refer to following summary of cover, the Group Personal Accident Policy Wording PDF and the Group Personal Accident Capital and Additional Benefit Tables PDF for details of cover).
- Public and Products Liability including Advertising Liability Policy covering the USFA and affiliated clubs and members (refer to following coverage summary and Liability Policy Wording PDF.
Please refer to the Policy Wordings which are downloadable from the links below.
USFA Insurance Summary Verified – Feb 2015.pdf
To all USFA members and prospective members:
The USFA is pleased to announce that we have updated the insurance policies covering our members and Office Bearers.
Member concerns on extent and quality of coverage have been listened to and considerable effort went into sourcing what can be described as the “Broadest and most comprehensive coverage for Spearfishers and Snorkelers ever seen in Australia”.
Of particular note is the Group Personal Accident Coverage which now covers members subject to age limits ANYTIME they dive WORLDWIDE as per below:
This means we are now able to offer better value for membership through very real insurance coverage to social and non-competition divers as well as our clubs and competition divers. Previously, there was no insurance coverage for members if they were not participating in a sanctioned event or competition. This lack of coverage for social, independent, younger or older members who were not interested in or able to compete has now been addressed.
We have arranged, along with many other benefits, income protection up to $500 per week for 104 weeks after a waiting period of just 7 days subject to policy conditions.
This is very real coverage which will benefit the majority of our members.
More specific details are to come soon and will be distributed.
The USFA are very excited and proud to offer these improvements to their members.
USFA Vice President
Why a USFA Membership?
We as spear-fishermen have some very real issues to deal with, e.g. the grey nurse shark exclusion zones and the Marine National Parks. There are very highly organized and politicised groups out there who would want the whole of our coastline preserved for nothing more than observation and would deny our basic right to catch a feed of fish!
To be a member of our organisation means that you have a collective voice to speak out against those issues that threaten the very fabric of our sport, something that is very hard to do as an individual. The USFA is funding these fights and need as many members as possible to show the governing bodies that we are united and that we have the numbers to make a difference.
The USFA generally represents members from the state of New South Wales but has representatives from all over the country. Being aligned with other peak fishing and outdoor organisations gives the USFA real ‘weight’ when dealing with the authorities. This can be seen with the grey nurse exclusion danger that was defeated in court with great cost to the USFA.
Other reasons to join the USFA are:
- Competition – The clubs of the USFA organise both monthly zone (Alliman & Taylor shields) and state competitions such as the Sydney & Canada Cup, and the State Titles to name a few. We also have initiated a host of Social based competitions such as the One Up One Down, Kingfish Cup, Selfie Comp, Junior Cup and our Exceptional Capture Awards. These programs cater for those who want a more social level of involvement without entering the traditional competitions mentioned above.
- Insurance – As a member of the USFA you are covered by a sporting injuries insurance policy that covers you in the event of an accident. This policy is the most comprehensive ever for spearfishermen. It does not cover you just in competition and is valid all over the world! This coverage alone is worth joining for! Please visit our Insurance page for specific details and extensive benefits.
- USFA website – Through the website & social media the USFA makes extensive use of the internet to keep members & supporters informed of legislative developments, media releases & general matters of interest as well as upcoming events.
- Youth development & Diving Safety Education – the USFA is committed to diver education programs and the nurturing of our youth to participate in our sport in the safest manner possible.
- Independents – Independent divers are encouraged to join and have a representative to stand for any issues or suggestions they may have.
How do I Join?
Easy, the new application form has several new features to make this process as easy as possible:
- Pay online via our online membership form where you can pay securely via credit card.
Not a member of a Spearfishing Club?
No problem, join and become an Independent member, there is a growing number of divers who are not part of the Club scene but wish to be part of the future of the sport but want to do their own thing as well. A lot of independents dive the state titles, Eden, Pacific Coast championships (Spearfest) etc. and participate in our social programs.
So help us to help you and join today. Support Spearfishing for you and your kids! If you need any further information email me at [email protected] or phone on 0413 033 224.